THE FACULTY

History of the Faculty

Important dates
  • University of Nancy counts today more than four centuries of existence. Its story begins in 1572 with the creation of a University in Pont-à-Mousson, transferred afterwards in Nancy in 1768.
  • After the victory of the French Revolution, the University of Nancy was suppressed and it opened its doors again only in 1854 once the Faculty of Sciences and Letters has been created.
  • Between 1870 and 1919, the Franco-Prussian War, the First World War and the industrial revolution contributed to the development of the University. Therefore, the academic audience diversified and increased. 
  • With the different crisis in 1968, the University was divided into three entities (Nancy 1, Nancy 2 and National Polytechnic Institute of Lorraine).
  • In 2005 the National Polytechnic Institute of Lorraine (INPL), the Henri Poincaré University (UHP) and the Nancy 2 University committed in the creation of a university federation named Nancy University.
  • On February 15th, 2010 by decision of the administration board of University Henri Poincaré, three Training and Research Units: "Science and Biological Techniques", "Science and Techniques of Materials and Process", "Science and Techniques of Mathematics, Computer science and Automation" have merged into a unique Unit, Faculty of Sciences and Technologies.
  • On January 1st, 2012 University of Lorraine has been created, as a result of the unification of Nancy University and University Paul Verlaine of Metz (UPV-M). It now includes close to:
    • 54000 students in initial education (of which 7800 are foreign students of more than 100 nationalities),
    • 11000 trainees in continuing education,
    • 80 laboratories,
    • 8 research federations,
    • 9 scientific sectors,
    • 53 sites,
    • 830000 square meters of built area in use,
    • 555 M€ of annual budget…
  • In 2012, the Collegium Sciences and Technologies (one of the eight collegiums constituted on the occasion of the establishment of University of Lorraine) has been created. It gathers together the Faculty of Sciences and Technologies in Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy, and two training and research units located in Metz, Mathematics, Computer science and Mechanics (MIM) and Fundamental and Applied Sciences (SciFA).

 


The Faculty of Sciences has created several institutes, most of them being subsequently converted into engineering schools.

 

Creation date
 
Name of Institute
 
Current designation
1854
Faculty of Sciences of Nancy by Imperial decree  
1855
Engineering science education  
1887
Chemical Institute ENSIC
1900
Electro-technical Institute ENSEM
1903
Agricultural & Colonial Institute ENSAIA
1906
Dairy industry school ENSAIA
1906
Institute of Mechanical ENSEM
1908
Applied Geology Institute ENSG
1909
Institute of Mathematics and Physics  
1919
Superior School of Metallurgy and Mining Industry Ecole des Mines de Nancy
1930
Institute of Zoology & Institute of Botanic  
1960
Institute of Engineering Science of Nancy ESSTIN
1985
School of Science and Wood Technologys ENSTIB
1990
Superior School of Computer science and Applications of Lorraine Telecom Nancy

The buildings construction
Date of
construction
Denomination of the building
1965
First cycle building
1970
Second cycle A, B and C buildings
1975
Library
1986
LORIA and INRIA
1996
Institute Elie Cartan
1998
ATELA
2003
ESA (Services office Aiguilettes)
2005
Second phase of construction of INRIA
2010
Passageway of Institute Elie Cartan